Saturday, February 2, 2013

Creating a Finding Aid

Greetings readers! My apologies for not getting this up sooner! I managed to get a sinus infection and an ear infection, which caused me to fall behind a bit!

Well this week was rather slow in the world of my internship. I primarily did a lot of reading on shared authority (which is very interesting!) and on how to create finding aids for a collection. I also spent a significant amount of time researching approximately how much it would cost to rehouse the Brian Arbogast collection. It's a lot of work, and at times can be a bit overwhelming, but I am enjoying every moment. I have my weekly meetings with Dr. Beiler that help me stay calm and focused.

Thursday I went through the rest of the Brian Arbogast collection and made notes of possible series for my finding aid. Basically it's divided up a little something like this: 

Repository:     The GLBT History Museum of Central Florida

     Record Group:     Brain Arbogast collection

          Series:     GLAAD
              
                 File Unit:     LA chapter correspondence
                                      WA chapter correspondence

           Series:     ILGA
                            1991 Pride Parade

And so on. I will present my initial finding aid to Dr. Beiler sometime next week. I will also have a full report of approximately how much it will cost to rehouse this collection in archivist quality materials. I have been given a budget of about $150. Which is doable, I just have to make sure I find the right materials.

Digressing back to the finding aid, this is one of the most frustrating things about the internship. It is frustrating in that it is constantly being revisited and edited. It is also frustrating because I have to keep the mentality that this is for future researchers use, not mine. So though things may make sense to me, the archivist, I need to constantly bear in mind the researchers use. So it ends up being a constant battle of checking myself; making sure I am not doing what I want, rather that I am doing what the future researcher needs. It is also difficult because I am constantly second guessing myself. I find that I ask myself, "Should I make that a series? Or, should it be a file unit to GLAAD?" Fortunately Dr. Beiler is there to help me when I do this. She is able to go over my work and help me see things that I am doing right and the things that need to be done differently.

I apologize for no epiphanies or anything of the sort in this week's entry, I am into the more tedious work now and as much as I'd love to, I can not really go through all of the finer details of the collection. Though it was interesting to come across things pertaining to Disney offering protection against discrimination to the GLBT community (which would not have happened had it not been for GLAAD, which would not have happened had it not been for Brian Arbogast). I also came across documents pertaining to the first Gay Days at Disney, the first pride parade in Orlando... all of these things that Brian Arbogast had his hand in. At the end of the day, as I was putting the boxes away, I found myself thanking him for all that he has done for our community in Orlando. He is truly an inspirational figure in the Central Florida GLBT community.

Until next week,

-Kyle the intern

No comments:

Post a Comment